|What are "Complex Systems" ?
Complex Systems is a term applied to natural or man-made processes where sophisticated - complex - behavior emerges
from the interactions of many simple, independently acting agents. Examples in the natural world include sand dune
formation from tiny windblown grains. An example of man made complex behavior is the action of independent traders
moving the overall stock market up or down.
What is the Maslyn Simulator ?
The Maslyn Simulator is a computer framework for modeling complex systems and displaying
the resulting emergent behavior. Rather than calculating precise numeric results, the program graphically displays
emerging patterns resulting from the combination of many independent actions. Sand dunes composed of many individual
particles form one grain at a time.
This is the Simulator
If the simulator doesn't display on your browser page you might not have the Java browser plug-in installed, or
may be using an old version of the plug-in. To get the latest version go to:
After the plug-in is installed, press <CTRL> and <Refresh> keys at the same time to re-load the page.
Running the Simulator
On startup the Simulator loads the Sand Dune Simulation. On the left control panel are
the slider controls that set the values of simulation variables:
- Starting sand percentage - how much of the area is initially covered by sand grains
- Wind velocity - force of the wind moving sand grains
- Wind direction - predominant wind direction. For Star Dunes this value is one of the
two directions, the other is 90o from this.
- Wind direction variability - how much the wind can vary from the primary direction
There are three controls in the lower left hand corner of the simulator:
- <SETUP> resets the simulation display to the slider values for the sand dune template.
- <Select Template> dropdown allows the user to model 3 pre-defined types of sand
dune forms or "None" to enter their own values
- <GO> and <STOP> to start and stop the simulation.
| Click Here
to Read A Published Abstract On the Simulator
|Applet and page Copyright (c) 2002 - 2004 by Sawatch Software, Inc.
"Maslyn Simulator" is a trademark of Sawatch Software, Inc.
|Last updated August 11, 2004